FBE200 seems to be de-interlacing unnecessarily


#1

I just started using the FBE200 yesterday and have tried 2 different source devices with the same results. The FBE200 seems to be de-interlacing a progressive source unnecessarily. The attached images were taken with my laptop as the source device. Hopefully they tell you everything you need to know. The results are the same for main and 3rd and enabling/disabling Deinterlace has no effect.


#2

Update: I got it to kind of work by using the AMD Catalyst Control Panel to add an HDTV output type of 720P60 (1280x720) to the virtual Flat Panel Display represented by the FBE200 but the stream is cropping instead of scaling the native 1366x768 laptop display. When I try to change the output type to 1080P or plug another source into the FBE200 the input video type remains stuck at 720P60. So I will try to reset the FBE200 and repeat the process using 1080P instead.


#3

My dear friend

  1. This happens when a VLC player has a playback cache.
    Please try to disable VLC’s video acceleration function and test it again.

  2. FBE200 needs to be restarted to re-detect the video source signal format

  3. When FBE200 detects non-standard resolution input, it will be automatically corrected and transformed into a standard resolution format, which is convenient for resolution adjustment.

have a good day
Jimmy


#4

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, disabling the VLC hardware-accelerated decoding did not resolve the problem. I tried using a different laptop with a native 1920x1080 display after resetting the FBE200 to factory default settings. The VLC shows the laptop screen correctly but if I then unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop and plug it into the source device (with native output resolution 1366x768) then the VLC screen looks like this:

VLC still shows the same result after rebooting the FBE200.


#5

Have you tried setting the source device to a lower framerate?
It looks to me the same way some older monitors respond when sent a signal that is outside of what they can display.
Try resetting the output Hz on the display device to something under 60Hz.


#6

My dear friend

  1. It may be that your source device is not standard resolution and the FBE200 recognition error caused, can you change the resolution of the source device?

  2. Can you provide more information about the resolution of your source device? How many frame rates? Line by line scan or interlace scan?

have a good day
Jimmy


#7

Thank you for the suggestions, however, the source is a medical device and the output resolution and timing cannot be adjusted. The medical device has both HDMI and DVI outputs, but I do not know if the signals are progressive or interlaced. I connected a monitor to the HDMI output and the resolution is 1366x768 (H 49.4kHz, V 60.0Hz). I connected the monitor to the DVI output and the resolution is 1680x1050 (H 65.4kHz, V 60.1Hz). However, if I connect the DVI output to the FBE200 the “Interrupt count” is always 0 so I think the EDID negotiation is not successful. When I connect the HDMI output to the FBE200 then the image is the same as the one from my original post (the content is changing but corrupted in the upper half of the VLC screen and the lower half of the screen is pink and never changes). I have 2 laptops with HDMI outputs: one with a native resolution of 1366x768 and the other with a native resolution of 1920x1080. I tried to create a custom HDTV output (and then switch the FBE200 cable from the laptop to the medical device) but the ATI Catalyst Control software only supports customizing 720p and 1080i outputs. If I use 720p then the VLC screen is normal but the full screen of the medical device is not visible due to cropping. I cannot use 1080i because when I select it all of the control buttons of the user interface of the ATI Catalyst Control software become disabled (I think the software recognizes that the FBE200 does not support this mode).