System Reset - web interface suggestion

In the System page, there’s a “Reset” button, which may be confusing to some people. In many places around the world, “Reset” just means “Reboot” (just like on a PC the reset button actually reboots the machine). It’s confusing to see two buttons in the interface with the same meaning, but no precise explanation.

I suggest to rename the “Reset” button to “Factory defaults” so that there is not confusion anymore.

I also suggest to make another button, “Factory defaults keeping network” so that the resetting to factory defaults would affect everything except network settings. This would be important for devices accessed remotely which need a fix or a firmware update. Currently if you press “Reset” button the device returns to which makes it inaccessible if other IP address was set previously.
DHCP would be also a solution for this, since in the router you could assign always the same address to FME200’s MAC address, but that also defaults to after factory defaults.

My friend:

it is a great advice. we will change is next firmeware.

Thank you very much.

Excellent ideas. Can I make a suggestion though @tomlee / @admin?

Can you place the REBOOT button to the far right of the SYSTEM link along the dark blue navigation bar? This would help save time as it would mean that you could reboot the device quickly without having to go to the systems page and would also stop people accidentally hitting the RESET button (which you’ve agreed in the post above to change to FACTORY DEFAULTS. You could even set a prompt for the REBOOT button to confirm to the user their actions/intent… a little along the lines of “Are you sure you want to reboot the device?” with a yes or no button.

I love the idea of the “Factory defaults” and “Factory defaults keeping network” buttons, which @robert came up with and you agreed should happen.

The wording should probably be a bit more clearer though as per the following:
“Factory defaults” = “Restore to factory default settings”
“Factory defaults keeping network” = “Restore to factory default settings but keep network settings”.

This would reduce ambiguity, is succinct and to the point. Importantly, it would let the user know what action they’re about to proceed with.

@tomlee / @admin , can you explain what the reasoning would be for allowing the device id to be modified? I can see some applications where this would be useful like device identification over a network, but at the same time, would this not affect how you identify a device when it is sent back for warranty repair? How do you identify the serial number (if any) if the device id can be modified? Is there some sticker showing this information or something that is attached to the device?

@erds57,I the Device ID returns to factory value when you reset it to factory defaults. During warranty repair, I guess the first thing is to reset it to factory defaulty anyway, isn’t it?

@tomlee / @admin, it happened to me that after testing many settings of the FBE200 (h265/hls version) it returned to factory defaults by itself all alone. I had to go back again to the location and set up the network again because it returned to It would be nice that in such cases (when internal error occurs and it returns to factory defaults by itself) it would still keep the network settings. The reset button on the hardware device would reset the entire device (and network too) to factory defaults.

The whole thing for this is that we use many devices located in remote server rooms, in dedicated network environments, loosing network settings it a real pain as you have to go there physically etc.

I got you idea ,it is a Annoying things. let me talk to our engenner.

have a good day.

it is a good idea ,we will upgrade it next firmeware.

have a good day friend.