VBR Forced to do QP setting and bitrate cap? not working

streaming

Hi!

I’ve been trying a few different settings for a setup.

A thing that I need, in order to get things going at a good quality without using too much bitrate is an Adaptive Bitrate kind of stream.

I tried using the VBR, but it forces me to do QP which is not recommended by ANYONE, and the Bitrate control doesn’t seem to work, as it for just uses as much bitrate as it can get. (set to 1500, it jumps as high as 24000).

Must admit I do not know what Firmware version I has, but if this has been solved in a later Firmware version, do you have a comprehendable guide somewhere? The guides attached with the downloads are reffering to files that are not even in the ZIP.

Thank you

/Tranquiliza

My dear friend

1. I really don’t believe the bit rate will jump to 24,000.
    Can you give me some screenshots to see?

2. Why not recommend QP?

have a good day
Jimmy

To answer the why QP is not recommended, here is some text from a person who seems to know whats going on:

Constant QP (CQP)

The Quantization Parameter controls the amount of compression for every Macroblock in a frame. Large values mean that there will be higher quantization, more compression, and lower quality. Lower values mean the opposite. QP ranges from 0 to 51 in H.264, and you can easily set a fixed QP for your entire encoding process with x264 and x265. Note: libvpx does not have a fixed QP mode.

ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libx264 -qp 23 <output>
ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libx265 -x265-params qp=23 <output>

To know more about the idea behind QP, you can read [this tutorial](LINK REMOVED DUE TO FORUM RESTRICTION) (if you’re not afraid of some maths).

Unless you know what you’re doing and you explicitly want this, do not use this mode! Setting a fixed QP means that the resulting bitrate will be varying strongly depending on each scene’s complexity, and it will result in rather inefficient encodes for your input video. You may waste space and you have no control of the actual bitrate.

Good for: Video encoding research
Bad for: Almost anything else

Note that [Netflix proposes using fixed-QP encoding](LINK REMOVED DUE TO FORUM RESTRICTION) for its per-shot encoding optimization to achieve optimal encodes for each scene. This however requires a lot of processing and careful assembly of the individual encoded shots, so it’s not a “one size fits all” method you should use unless you have the whole framework implemented.

Source: ( https://slhck.info/video/2017/03/01/rate-control.html )

Screenshot:

After testing today with VBR again and QP set to min 20 and max 40, it seems to work quite well. Skipped one step which is an RTMP endpoint.

And here the Bitrate seems more stable.